Sunday, July 7, 2013

My First Real Ride on the Road


Last weekend I completed the state mandated riding class and obtained my motorcycle riding license. The fourth of July meant we had an extended weekend so we were able to get out in the parking lot a bit more than usual. This helped me feel more comfortable on my Harley but I was still a bit hesitant when Scott asked about taking a short "real ride" as in out on the road.  I wanted to say no but seeing how I now had a license and a brand new bike I had hard time coming up with a valid excuse. I finally swallowed my fear and said sure. I knew Scott would be right there with me and that helped. 



We left very early in the morning knowing there wouldn't be too many cars on the road.  We stopped at the McDonald's in Crowley and had some coffee and talked about how I felt about the ride before heading back.  I was a bit nervous and it showed but Scott assured me that is to be expected.  The ride home was much better, I  was more relaxed and my riding reflected it. Total round trip was 16.8 miles although I swear it felt like 50.  It was short enough to give me the opportunity to apply my riding abilities to the road and experience a taste of what is to be expected on the road without becoming to overwhelmed. I was very happy when Scott told me he was proud of my riding and comfortable with me as a riding partner.  He said he was never nervous or worried about my riding or feared that I was a danger to myself, him, or others on the road.  


Of course after I relaxed a bit I had to evaluate myself. I definitely need to work on going faster and learn to relax when I see a red light. We must have hit everyone, something that doesn't happen when riding in a parking lot. The thought of shifting down and stopping in time worried me and caused me to go slower than I needed to. By the third light I was praying for green lights every time I saw a signal coming up! I began to slow down just in case it turned red. Over all though I am proud of myself and happy to have taken my first real ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment