Saturday, August 17, 2013

Cranfills Gap 2013 & Meridian State Park

Following the previous weekend of hard riding Scott insisted on doing some riding related activities instead of riding the entire state of Texas again, go figure.  Saturday we both gave our bikes a good scrubbing.  They were still covered with an enormous amount of grasshopper goo.  This was the first washing of my Softail and Scott found it entertaining to hear me whine and grumble about how nasty the bug parts were and the fact that they wouldn't come off easily. I swear grasshoppers have super glue for blood.  We also waxed the paint and polished the chrome on both bikes.  This was the first detailing for my bike so we took our time and did the process thoroughly.  This took all morning and we enjoyed doing it together.

Looking back at the last couple rides a problem we've been having is storage space. Scott is having to carry everything for both of us in his saddlebags.  We had found bags for my bike last month that I liked from Viking Bags so we went ahead and ordered them. In the afternoon we decided to stop by Fort Worth Harley while we made our weekly grocery rounds.  We ordered some saddlebag guards for my bike and a reduced reach clutch and brake handle too.  I have been struggling with the reach on my controls since getting the bike so we had to do something for me. Of course these are all things you discover as you ride your bike and one of the downsides to being 5' 1", most things just don't fit without a little modification.

We still wanted to ride a bit so Sunday morning we decided to go to Cranfills Gap.  Scott had been before but I had to work the day the group he road with went. The temperature was only going to be 98 for the high so it wasn't as bad as the previous weekend.

We had lunch at the well known Horny Toad Bar & Grill which is about the only business in that town. When we left the temperature was beginning to climb.  It was 1:30 pm and only gonna get hotter throughout the day. Meridian State Park was only about 20 miles away so we decided to go there and spend the afternoon swimming and lounging around in the shade until it cooled down for the trip home.  Start to finish the trip was 257 miles. So despite Scott's insistence that we spend the week-end working on the bikes I managed to weasel a ride out of him, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment