Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dublin Dr Pepper & Goldthwaite Texas

Over the last month Scott and I have been taking short rides, mostly close to home.  We started out doing 20 miles round trip and worked up to 60 mile round trips.  I was doing pretty good and Scott didn't want to push me and provoke any discouragement by riding too far too fast and freaking me out. So he decided to trick me by doing a longer ride without telling me. He worked up a route to Hico, Tx and back which was about 125 miles round trip.  The evening before our friend Jim called to see what we were up to so we invited him and Pat along.



We met in Crowley and headed out.  The route took us through Godley, Bono, Granbury, then on some very nice FM roads to Hico.  Jim had to be back home to meet some construction contractors by noon so he broke off from us shortly before arriving at Hico.

Scott and I had breakfast at the Koffee Kup and unknowing to me we were preparing to head back home.  As we got up to leave I asked "where are we going now?"



"Back home" he responded.  Now is the turning point to this otherwise boring post.  Honestly I  wasn't very happy with his response. I wanted to ride some more. He smiled and replied "Gotta keep your woman happy right?"  We headed out on more very nice FM roads and hours later ended up in Dublin TX.  We decided to take the tour of the historical Dr Pepper Museum and get a couple souvenirs. If you are looking for some old fashioned Dublin Original Dr. Pepper Made With Cane Sugar 8 oz. Glass Bottles you will have to settle on ordering it now.

We left Dublin and ended up back in Hico, then Glen Rose, then Granbury, Bono, Godley, Crowley, and finally home.  Every place we stopped at Scott encouraged a shorter route home to which he received evil glares and whining about what kind of rider he was? To be honest, I finally broke loose on my bike and overcame a lot of my apprehensions about riding.  I relaxed, let the bike go, and enjoyed the ride and scenery.  I finally began to understand the beauty of riding.  I was hooked and there was no turning back now. We rode 300 miles that day and every mile and stop was wonderful.

Nice little story but little did Scott know it would continue sooner than later.  He slept in the next morning to about 8am.  That's VERY late for us considering our daily wake up time is 5am. He crawled out of bed, wandering into my work room rubbing his eyes trying to clear his vision only to find me standing there, dressed with my riding vest on.  "Where are we going today?" I asked with a completely serious demeanor. He later told me he was thinking  "WTH?!?!  riding 300 miles in a day is a pretty nice ride in itself for one weekend and this woman wants to go out again?" He told me he didn't have anything planned to which I responded "Why not? You better figure out something soon so we can get going!"  I know he was thinking "OMG, this keeping your woman happy concept is starting to work against me!" Of course Scott is always happy to ride too and I think he is happy to have me happily riding behind him, even if I do push for more.

Within an hour were back on the road, Crowley, Godley, Bono, Hico, Hamilton, and finally to Goldthwaite. We stopped at a restaurant named Peabody's to cool down and eat.  We arrived 30 minutes before closing time and stood at the front door for a few minutes while the staff walked around and ignored us. I figured if we sat down we might be served. Not a chance. Scott  finally went to the back of the restaurant where the staff was hiding out and asked if we were supposed to wait to be seated. A very rude server sharply informed him they were closed and turned away. If you go to Goldthwaithe stay away from Peabody's, they are not biker friendly.   We did manage to find a Dairy Queen and got some cool drinks and a burger. They were very friendly unlike the cold shoulder we received at Peabody's. There is a historic suspension bridge somewhere in the Goldthwaite area we wanted to see but by now it was late and we had a long ride to get home. We didn't get any pictures in Goldwaithe as there really wasn't anything to photograph. Well go back again and try to find that bridge on another trip. After another 10 hour day of riding and another 300 miles, we arrived home.

600 miles in two days.  I'm not really sure how to comment on that. I loved it.  Every bit of it.  The riding, the stops at towns and rest areas where we would just enjoy the day together.  We stopped at quite a few historical sites as well.

We took the camera and GoPro both of those days to try and get some media.  It's grasshopper season in Texas so we lost a lot of video due to those things splattering on the lens cover of the GoPro even though he cleaned it at every stop. We still got some decent riding clips and Scott used what he was able to salvage and put together a short video. I hope you enjoy the media as much as we enjoyed the riding to compile it.






No comments:

Post a Comment